Dr. Todd Peters, a highly-experienced orthopedic surgeon, chooses bone marrow-derived stem cells over adipose (fat) stem cells. Fat derived stem cells provide the larger volume of adult stem cells, while bone marrow stem cells provide more growth factors that help in the repair or regeneration process. He has seen significant improvement in most patients’ conditions by utilizing the stem cell-rich bone marrow-derived stem cells.
Bone marrow aspiration, the process of harvesting the stem cells from bone marrow, is a quick and painless procedure that takes about a minute to complete once the specific area to aspirate has been identified. Patients are given anesthetic injection to numb the area where the needle will be injected. The bone marrow contains both the platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and stem cells.
Both bone marrow and adipose-derived stem cells have been evaluated for effectiveness in permanent treatment of osteoarthritis. However, more studies have been made showing better outcome with bone marrow-derived stem cells tissue regeneration and cell therapy applications in the treatment of arthritic joints.
Research on Bone Marrow Stem Cell Therapy:
- Institutes of Immunology and Pathology-Rikshospitalet University Hospital in Norway
- Stem Cell Biology Department-Stem Cell Technology Research Center in Tehran
- Department of Orthopedics, Georgia Regents University
- Equine Orthopaedic Research Center, Department of Clinical Sciences-Colorado State University
- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National University of Singapore.
Important Findings from Recent Stem Cell Researches
Research or clinical studies on the use of bone marrow-derived stem cells have proven effective.
- Bone marrow-derived stem cells have a higher chondrogenic capability than adipose stem cells. Bone marrow-derived stem cells demonstrate the capability to treat osteoarthritis.
- Clinical studies made in Spain have shown improvement in cartilage quality and pain relief without hospitalization or surgery using bone marrow-derived stem cells.
- Clinical study in Iran proved patients with osteoarthritis of the hip, knee and ankle treated with bone-derived stem cells showed pain relief, improvement in physical functions and significant cartilage regeneration.
Is Stem Cell Therapy Right for You?
If you are suffering from chronic joint pain such as Knee Pain, Elbow Pain, Ankle and Foot Pain, Back Pain, Hip Pain, Shoulder Pain or Neck Pain, you may be a good candidate for Stem Cell Therapy. Please fill out the form below and submit. We will reply as soon as possible with additional information and next steps to evaluate if Stem Cell Therapy is right for you. You may also contact Dr. Peters’ office at (949) 383-4182 to find out more about Stem Cell Therapy in Irvine, Newport Beach and Orange County.